How to Save Money on Your Electric Bill
It’s a new year and we’ve made our resolutions to change things and make this year better, just as we do each year. Resolutions to start saving money are ever-popular, but where should you start? At Annison-Bitter Heating & Air Conditioning, our Denham Springs HVAC technicians suggest you focus on lowering your energy bills, which proves to be an effective way to put some extra cash in your pockets.
Six must-know tips to lower your monthly energy bill and save money:
Know when to invite the sun into your home.
- It’s cold outside which means your heating system is working hard to keep you and yours nice and comfortable. Why not allow the sun to do what it does best and make it heat your living area. Open the blinds, pull back the curtains, and take advantage of the free heating.
- Just as important, when the hot days of summer arrive, pull down the shades and close the curtains on the sunny side of your home. Consider insulated and/or reflective shades, which will also save you money come heating season.
Use your ceiling fans — they’re not just for decorations.
- During the cold winter months, reversing your fans will force the warm air collecting at the ceiling to circulate, keeping the room feeling more comfortable. This simple trick allows you to keep the thermostat on a lower setting.
- While the summer months bring the room temperatures higher, your fans pushing the air down make the room feel six or seven degrees cooler because of the wind-chill factor. This will allow you to raise your thermostat two to three degrees without discomfort.
- Don’t forget to turn ceiling fans off when you leave, or else you will be canceling the smart savings you earn elsewhere.
Remember to change your air filter once a month.
- This is so important since this is where improving air quality begins in the home.
- The filter traps the dust, dander, and other airborne debris, helping to prevent system breakdowns and improve the efficiency of your system.
- A dirty system means dirty air. If the filter looks clogged or dirty, it’s time to change it.
Don’t play with your thermostat.
- Find a temperature you are comfortable at and leave it alone. Constantly changing the thermostat wastes energy.
- If you have a programmable thermostat, make it a priority to learn how to use it. It can save you up to 15% a year in heating and cooling bills by lowering and raising your temperatures when you are sleeping or out of the house.
Regular maintenance is a must.
- Many manufactures have extended warranties on parts, but these are dependent on regular maintenance.
- Having a tune-up twice a year can save you some repair costs as well as keeping the efficiency of the system at its peak. They can also find problems that can be fixed before major problems develop.
- Find a reputable HVAC company and ask if they have a maintenance program you can use to your benefit. (Why not call us at (225) 500-2035 to see how our membership program works?)
It may be time to retire your system in favor of something more energy
- This is a big step considering it is probably the largest single investment you will have in your home. But it is also the biggest step you can take to improve the air quality, comfort, and energy efficacies of your home.
- An old system or one that is in bad repair can be the reason for those higher energy bills. The cost of replacing your system may be offset by substantially lowering your monthly bills.
If you are thinking the best way to save money in 2019 is maximizing the efficiency of your HVAC system, then please do not hesitate to reach out to our Denham Springs heating and cooling technicians. Annison-Bitter Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. is the trusted name in your neighborhood, and for good reasons! Call (225) 500-2035 to learn about our company, schedule a service appointment, or request a free job estimate.